This page has some images of the School before our 2003 rebuild as well as some of the current school.
Our story begins in 1903 with the opening on 7th May of the Lidgett Park School in North Park Avenue by Miss J Blok and Miss G B Shute with four girl pupils.
In 1916, Miss M C Vyvyan took over as Headmistress of the school. By this time, there were 64 girls on roll.
In September 1917, the Boys’ Department of the school was opened at 29, Shaftesbury Avenue, with 20 boys aged from 8-13.
In 1919 the school was taken over by the Leeds Education Committee and, in September 1919, Lidgett Park High School became the Roundhay High School for Girls.
The Education Committee bought the estate of Gledhow Hill (our present grounds).
September 1921 – the school moved into Gledhow Hill (the Mansion Block).
By September 1922 – 300 on roll and the number of boys (many as old as 13 and 14) had risen to 80. This warranted the establishment of a separate boys’ school.
In January 1923 Roundhay School for Boys opened under the headship of Mr B A Farrow. It was temporarily housed at Potternewton Mansion while a new boys’ school was built at Gledhow Hill. Not all the parents were pleased about this!
15th September 1925, the new Boys’ School was opened. During the year, the building was completed and the formal opening took place on 25th June 1926 by Lord Eustace Percy, President of the Board of Education.
Meanwhile, the Girls’ School, still under Miss Vyvyan, steadily grew and, in September 1931, the new Girls’ School was opened. It was officially opened on 25th November 1932 by Lady Irwin.
September 1972 – Roundhay School for Boys and Roundhay High School for Girls combined to form the new Roundhay School, a 13-18 co-educational comprehensive school.
September 1992 – the new Roundhay School – an 11-18 co-educational comprehensive school opened. There were now about 1450 pupils at the school.
The Main School building opened with much of the original façade of Lower School (Old Boys’ School), linking the old with a new school fit for the 21st Century.
Roundhay School gained Technology Status and became Roundhay School, Technology College.
Roundhay School was proud to be judged 'outstanding' by Ofsted in late 2007 as a 'fully comprehensive and inclusive school which provides an outstanding education for its students.'
Roundhay School gained specialist Language Status and became Roundhay School, Technology and Language College.